These free online budget calculators can help you learn how much you need to earn to cover the basic living expenses for a family in California. You can also build your own lifestyle budget with Make Money Choices on the California CareerZone.
This California Budget Project calculator shows how much it costs for a family in California to cover basic expenses. Budgets are available for all 58 California counties and four family types.
- Housing and Utilities
- Child Care
- Health Care
- Miscellaneous Expenses
- Single Adult
- Single Parent, Two Children
- Two Parents, Two Children, One Parent Working
- Two Parents, Two Children, Both Parents Working
The Family Economic Self-Sufficiency Standard measures the minimum income necessary to cover all of a family’s basic expenses. The California Self-Sufficiency Standard is available for all 58 counties across the state.
- Child care
- Health care
- Number of Adults: 1, 2, 3, 4 or more
- Number of Children: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more and ages
- Infant: 0-2 years old
- Preschooler: 3-5 years old
- School-age: 6-12 years old
- Teenager: 13-18 years old