Your Virtual Counselor! Dream Big, Set Goals, Take Action!
The California Career Center. Dream Big, Set Goals, Take Action!

Completing High School

You will have more options after high school if you complete your traditional high school program and receive a standard high school diploma. To see what it takes to earn a traditional high school diploma, check out the information at High School Graduation Requirements.

While traditional four-year high school is the most common way to go, there may be circumstances which interfere with getting your diploma. If this happens, it’s helpful to know California provides High School Equivalence Tests: General Educational Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), and the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE). The CHSPE is the only test that awards a Certificate of Proficiency which is—by law—equal to a California high school diploma.

Some of these tests may be unacceptable for some post-secondary education or training programs, including the military. So before deciding to take one of these exams, carefully research the requirements of the post high school options you are considering.