Like any project, you’ll need to take certain steps to start your plan. Here are a few to consider:
- Talk with your school counselor, teachers, family members, and other role models about careers in which you are interested.
- Visit your school’s career center and ask for assistance in using career resources.
Complete an interest inventory, skill assessment, and/or personality inventory at your school’s career center or at home. A great place to begin is with the California CareerZone. This information will guide you to careers that may fit you well. Once your assessments are done, seek out career center personnel or your counselor to help you interpret them.
- Match your personal interests, skills, and personality traits with possible career choices.
- Consider the lifestyle you’d like to live. Will your budget, educational goals, and career options work together to support the lifestyle you want? Go to Make Money Choices and find out!
- Investigate different careers using career center materials and other Internet resources, like the
California CareerZone, or Roadtrip Nation.
- Take high school classes leading to your desired career pathway.
- Plan for postsecondary education/training to reach your career goal.
- Add “real-world” skills through participation in school clubs and organizations, student body activities, sports, and local community organizations.
- Start a part-time or summer job to develop employment skills.
- Dream, be bold, your life will be what you make it so don’t hesitate to use all the information you gather to help you identify and pursue a life that matters.