In addition to the resume and cover letter, your job application is one of the first impressions your potential employer will have of you.
Make it a good one by following these tips:
- Develop a “Master Application” so you are ready to fill in any application at a moments notice.
- Read the entire application before filling in any sections.
- Use information from your resume to complete the application.
- For difficult questions, use a separate piece of paper to practice writing answers.
- Most applications can be completed online, for a hard copy application use a pen with dark ink (preferably black) and print clearly.
- Completely answer ALL questions. If questions do not apply, write N/A (not applicable) or draw a line in that space.
- After you’re done, proofread the application, correcting spelling and grammar errors.
Having a Master Application with all your personal and work experience already filled in can be a great resource when you need to fill in a new application. The State of California has a standard application it uses for all jobs. You can download the California State Job Application [PDF] and use it as your own Master Application.